Thursday 16 December 2010

The Darjeeling Ltd


27.11.10 First train journey! Mumbai to Udaipur. Wes Anderson's 'The Darjeeling Ltd' is possibly solely responsible for this Indian adventure. Oh how different is film and my reality! Blue grubby leather benches cramming six berths into an open cabin. Not quite living the dream! But after a few hours I settle in and they have become one of my favourite activities. Watching the landscape change, moving from cityscape to villages to slums to countryside. Catching sight of those who live and work along the train lines is fascinating and insightful and a truer reflection of this country than walking down some touristy strip..."which country suffers without you?" and "one photo, one photo!" This first train journey was slightly marred by an aggressive and grabby beggar woman who put some sort of curse on me when I refused to give her money, as it was all in Hindi I'm oblivious to my plight!

No comments:

Post a Comment