Tuesday 24 May 2011

Stretches of Cave

I ventured ever so slightly off the beaten track and towards the caves of Kong Lo starting at the nothing town of Tha Khaek. I traveled my favourite way: by local transport of course with all the usual breakdowns and food stops at roadside stalls and restaurants then I transferred to songthaew (a pick-up truck adapted for shared taxi use) where I was neatly dropped off at the start point of the Kong Lo caves. I hopped in a tiny boat with the boatman and guide and off we went. For well over an hour, possibly two, I was powered along the water which cut through the 7 km stretch of awesome caves. It was incredible: the caves were like huge chambers in some places where not even my torch beam could reach, and it was so eerily quiet (well apart from the hum of the boat motor). The caves and stalagmites and stalactites morphed into a crazy chapel effect type structure and it was utterly breathtaking. I have never seen anything like it! This is a cave to recommend to all!



At one point we got out and had an explore of one section of the caves on foot which was prettily lit by a few blue and pink lights.
Those who are brave and cocky with a motorbike could venture and do The Loop taking in a few small villages over a few days before reaching the caves, but I was more than happy with my public transport adventure which ended in a 5 hour trip sat on a plank propped in the middle of the songthaew (not even sat on one of the mildly padded benches), but time flew by on this entertaining, sometimes hair raising ride (as per!).
Exiting the cave. The outside nearly as impressive as the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment