Tuesday 7 June 2011

Another Slow Boat

I took the scenic waterways route as I exited Vietnam for Cambodia taking in a floating fishing village, a floating fruit and veg market, and a Cham village along the watery way. I headed for Can Tho to see the floating fruit and veg market and had a rather creepy bus journey from Saigon to Can Tho. The bus driver of the minivan only knew "I love you" in English so I humored it for a while. The driver and bus ticket man offered to take me directly to my guesthouse which came across as a bit creepy so I hopped on the back of a moto to my guesthouse. I was just settling in when the driver turned up and motioned to me, him, and my room! Jeez! I'd only said bye to Tom a few hours before and already I was being propositioned! Of course I said a firm "no" and hid in my room for a little while.
At the floating fruit and veg market Can Tho, Vietnam

The next morning I got up bright and early and headed for the dock and got on a small boat powered by a little local woman who took me to the busy floating market and then back through the quiet backwaters (it reminded me very much of Alleppey, India). Whilst she was steering the small motorised boat she crafted me a bracelet and staff made of river reeds. Super impressive crafty skills!
Good craft!

I then headed to Chau Doc and took the slowboat, first to the floating fishing village and Cham Muslim village, and then towards Cambodia. The view was very scenic and we passed lots of kids having a great time splashing about in the river water and the usual rice paddies and wooden stilt houses. It was a very chilled introduction to Cambodia.
Floating fishing village, Chau Doc, Vietnam

1 comment:

  1. You obviously just have that look about you Eve... ;) Jokes!

    P.s. awesome crafty skills indeed! x

    ReplyDelete