Thursday 9 June 2011

Dolphin Spotting

I headed over to dusty, quiet Kratie in the east of Cambodia for a little cycle and some dolphin watching. Kratie is found in the Mekong Delta and is just one of the homes for this funny looking dolphin (I tried to look for it from the 4,000 Islands in Laos but had no luck). I had a pleasant and flat cycle along the river towards the dolphins. After about 7km from Kratie I reached the spot where you can take a boat out over the delta and get close to the dolphins. Within seconds we were surrounded...by maybe four of the creatures frolicking around who stuck with us for the hour that we were out in the boat. It was quite exciting to be so close and for them to be cavort around with such great abandon!

Irrawaddy dolphin cruising along the Mekong delta!
I then cycled a little more to a very small village and decided to head back in the midday sun. Error!! It was much too hot to be out cycling! I also forgot to put suncream on my hands and they burnt! Even that is a first for me! The sun is lethal but my nice big rimmed sunhat is a lifesaver and I am never without it!

My cycle route around Kratie...wooden stilt houses running alongside tropical trees with hot skies overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment