Thursday 2 June 2011

Cool Sapa


It took me three days to get from Luang Nam Tha in Laos across the border to Sapa in Vietnam via four buses and one small boat through the rain and past a mudslide. It was on this journey that I decided to become veggie, the defining moment was seeing a super squealing pig having its legs tied up, plonked on some scales, tape over its mouth to stop it from squealing, then dumped in the back of a minivan and off to market it goes via a very bumpy and wet border crossing. No more traumatised bacon for me!


One of the many glorious views of the terraces in and around Sapa
Anywho, Sapa was gloriously cold! I wrapped up in a duvet at night and even had the opportunity to get out my very rarely worn hoodie, socks and Converse. The valleys around Sapa are incredibly huge and stunning, and the women of the hill tribes wear simply the best and most colourful outfits around. I walked down to Cat Cat village and then stormed up the steep slopes back to Sapa town on one day and jumped on the back of a small motorbike and got chauffeured around other villages the next.

Two of the hill tribe women who invited me have a poke around their house. Great headwear! And I loved all of the hand embroidery on their outfits.

An Indigo woman sewing away. All the folk of Cat Cat village dye their clothes indigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment